Being Human? Interstellar war? Extiction of species? Beauty pagents?

Go down

Being Human? Interstellar war? Extiction of species? Beauty pagents?

Post  Myth/Oli/Phil on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:15 am

So it seems to me that as humans we always want to go that one step too far...

Now one day I am listening to Eddie Izzard (british comedian) and he makes this joke. That the US has once again won the world series of baseball. And everyone laughs because in our "world" series we conveniently forget to invite anyone else. Now that being said, in baseball I think we would have a lock on that even still, only Japan and the Philippines or one of those Caribbean islands would be in the running. Idk, wherever we import those 16 yr old baseball players from. That however is besides the point.

So im driving this morning and because it is morning the radio refuses to play actual music, so I am listening to not funny morning show talkers make poor jokes. They mention that Miss USA won the Miss Universe contest. Now another aside, pic-wise I am not seeing it. Maybe its my tastes or bad pics, but her heads too big, every pic looked like the photoshopped the head on slightly too large, and shes too thin besides.

So anyhow this brings to mind Eddie Izzard's comedy when the US wins Miss Universe. Did we conveniently forget to invite the rest of the universe? Were the invitations sent and were we snubbed? Did they get lost in the interstellar pony express? Who would judge this competition? Would 2 heads make a woman more attractive or less? (trying hard not to make a joke about her talking 2x as much.... :P ) What about species with a single gender, do they get to compete?

And again as I let my mental musings meander away.... (hows that for alliteration?) The point is this:

Might not humanity one day cease to exist due to the invasion of some outraged species offended at our temerity to crown one of us as the most beautiful person in the entirety of the universe?
Myth/Oli/Phil

Back to top Go down

Re: Being Human? Interstellar war? Extiction of species? Beauty pagents?

Post  Fitsi on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm

So this may be a bit of a tangent.

Do you think that intelligent life can evolve on planets vastly different from earth? I would argue that even if it could those life forms would never be able to interact with us in a meaningful social way.

On a planet with similar gravity would evolution select a radically different body type for a space going intelligent life form?

Two arms and extremely dexterous hands seem obligatory. Locomotion is more negotiable, 2 legs, six legs, a tail, whatever. Maybe you would spread out all the sensory organs or put them right next to genitals or something; maybe otter like hair or quartz scales or hollow bones.

Whatever shape ends up working best on this alien world I'm guessing that star-trek was a more realistic guesstimate of the shape and form of beings throughout the universe than Star-wars.

And if that is the case we definitely have the right to run a miss universe contest; the 4 legged, hairy, beast women of Alpha Centauri cant say they weren't invited.
Fitsi

Back to top Go down

Post  Slimegullet on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Cromulence wrote:So this may be a bit of a tangent.

Do you think that intelligent life can evolve on planets vastly different from earth? I would argue that even if it could those life forms would never be able to interact with us in a meaningful social way.

On a planet with similar gravity would evolution select a radically different body type for a space going intelligent life form?

Two arms and extremely dexterous hands seem obligatory. Locomotion is more negotiable, 2 legs, six legs, a tail, whatever. Maybe you would spread out all the sensory organs or put them right next to genitals or something; maybe otter like hair or quartz scales or hollow bones.

Whatever shape ends up working best on this alien world I'm guessing that star-trek was a more realistic guesstimate of the shape and form of beings throughout the universe than Star-wars.

And if that is the case we definitely have the right to run a miss universe contest; the 4 legged, hairy, beast women of Alpha Centauri cant say they weren't invited.

this reminds me of that Futurama episode which touched on this subject. I presume the judges would have to be one from every participating race to make it fair, if they all vote their own species than they have a tie until someone votes out of species. on futurama i believe a giant walking bacteria blob woman won but the crown wasn't made for a humanoid so it sunk into her body.

if they want to be invited to the contest they should answer our communications being sent out... though based on how first contact went over for the native americans... not so sure i want to be around when we do find each other.

Slimegullet

Back to top Go down

Post  Myth/Oli/Phil on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:41 pm

I always found the concept of the "humanoid" alien kinda stupid. I realize we use human actors in shows and so as time progressed all our aliens tended towards a humanoid frame of reference.

I find no reason there should not be a huge variety in form. 2 arms? why? what benefit does 2 give other than more is better? in which case wouldnt it be more logical to suggest 4 is the norm? more? why arms at all? how about 50 tendrils from each shoulder? each acting as an articulated finger type appendage. far superior yes?

We could argue 4 legs is a more stable support system than 2 obviously. With 4 legs you would negate the necessity for the inner ear balance system. Even 3 would still give a decided advantage over 2.

2 eyes grants us stereoscopic vision, so one would presume 1 eyed species would suffer in that regard.

I do not mean to say a human is not a nice package, but we evolved to suit our environment. There is an element of chance in all of that tho too. Surely humans could have evolved in a variety of forms and still thrived here.

So we must instead look at what is commonalities right? It would seem that even over insect, aquatic, mamalian, reptilian, flying species:

Eyes- right almmost everything has eyes, almost all have 2 of them, and almost all are placed in such a way as to provide depth perception to its possessor. This would be the thing i would expect to find most similar on any new species encountered.

actuallly you can expand this to most sensory organs. we seem to find nose mouth and ears too have a baseline similarity across variety, some more than others. 1 mouth would seem enough for evolution, but with 2 ears we help pinpoint directionality yes? Would 2 noses wider spaced let us sort more information from a smell? That smell is coming from the left?
I could see this as a useful trait in finding food and helping a species survive its evolution. You need the brain to process all of this, and to grow and become intelligent and space faring. But nothing says the brain need be housed above the trunk of the body.

Outside the sensory aparatus... idk, eveything has a trunk main body where most of its internal organs lie, so we could also presume that would be a common thing to find.

Locomotion would seem to me to be where the variety would lie most. Movement is highly dependent upon environment. Fins wont do a lizard much good. nor wings a fish. I would agree that for a species to become mechanically proficient there would have to be some fine controlled manipulation available, but i think i could see those coming about out of any number of various forms.
Myth/Oli/Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Fitsi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:52 am

How much variety could exist in the planetary conditions while still incubating intelligent life? I dont think very much at all, really. Why did we end up with 2 arms? holding on to your mother without stumps in the way out? holding something steady while using a tool on it? Perhaps there is a limit on how many limbs can be controlled by an intelligent brain? Or just practically, why have more than 2? I imagine 1000s of permutations have been tried in the history of the earth and 2 arms was the winner; four limbs was also by far the winner in many vastly different species.

One sci-fi book I read had humans finally meeting another life form after about 700 years of intra-solar colonization and mining and found that the aliens were almost identical to the humans because they both had deliberately evolved themselves to function in zero gravity.

perhaps there are ethereal space beings that fill 100s of square miles of space, 50 tentacled beings that breath ammonia or metal based lifeforms at the center of 1000 gravity gas giants, but we will never deal socially with them so they will always be excluded from miss universe.

My contention is that any being that could visit earth comfortably would be quite humanoid.
Fitsi

Back to top Go down

Post  Slimegullet on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:53 am

well there was significant advantages to being bipedal and was the largest step that started us down the road towards intelligence. while we arnt very fast animals we are the most efficient at locomotion on land, we can run for longer than a dog even without rest. we are the only bipedal animal on our planet and also the only intelligent beings so i think there would be a good chance of 2 legs. walking upright allowed us to look at the sky and stars and start to think

food source was a big thing too we wouldnt have became so smart if we only ate one type of meat or were vegetarians. plant eaters dont need intelligence and selective meat eaters become very specialized. the smartest animals on our planet tend to be omnivores and opertunist... but hey maybe the aliens eat lead?
Slimegullet

Back to top Go down

Post  bunz on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Unhygienic wrote:well there was significant advantages to being bipedal and was the largest step that started us down the road towards intelligence. while we arnt very fast animals we are the most efficient at locomotion on land, we can run for longer than a dog even without rest. we are the only bipedal animal on our planet and also the only intelligent beings so i think there would be a good chance of 2 legs. walking upright allowed us to look at the sky and stars and start to think

food source was a big thing too we wouldnt have became so smart if we only ate one type of meat or were vegetarians. plant eaters dont need intelligence and selective meat eaters become very specialized. the smartest animals on our planet tend to be omnivores and opertunist... but hey maybe the aliens eat lead?

Flightless Birds are pretty bipedal.
bunz

Back to top Go down

Post  Slimegullet on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm

bunz wrote:
Unhygienic wrote:well there was significant advantages to being bipedal and was the largest step that started us down the road towards intelligence. while we arnt very fast animals we are the most efficient at locomotion on land, we can run for longer than a dog even without rest. we are the only bipedal animal on our planet and also the only intelligent beings so i think there would be a good chance of 2 legs. walking upright allowed us to look at the sky and stars and start to think

Flightless Birds are pretty bipedal.

yeah i suppose they are bipedal and you could argue that some dinosaurs were too. they didnt really stand up with a straight back bone like us though which is more what i meant. an ostrich is very bent over with their back bone and while a penguin is mostly upright they are not very comfortable on land, most an aquatic bird
Slimegullet

Back to top Go down

Post  Brewjin on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

I thought we had "others" among us! There's humans, then there's Canadians!!
Brewjin

Back to top Go down

Post  bunz on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:47 pm

I would be interested in seeing how the evolution of the corvidae family will progress, or the Kea and Kakapo in New Zealand. The intelligence of Birds astounds me. I imagine what New Zealand would have been like if it remained Mammal free to this day, The only mammals native to the area before humans arrived were 3 species of bats and aquatic mammals off the coast.
bunz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down